Apple: Pre-ordering a $700 stock priceSeptember 17, 2012: 2:23 PM ET
Investors and consumers are playing the Apple (AAPL) waiting game this week.
Apple's stock is oh so close to $700. And despite iffy reviews of the iPhone 5, at least two million people are waiting for it.
That's given StockTwits traders plenty to chew on.
Some consumers are so eager to get their hands on the phone that they're simply lining up outside Apple stores, even though the phone doesn't hit store shelves until Friday.
All of the frenzy has pushed Apple's stock price to record highs over the past week.
But not everyone is convinced that Apple's stock can keep the momentum going.
As a Duke University alum, the fervor around Apple's iPhone release and $700 stock price reminds me of the pre-game Duke basketball hype.
Duke students sleep for weeks in Krzyzewskiville, the town outside Cameron stadium, to see the team on its home court. Like Duke's basketball team, Apple inspires devotion and plenty of haters.
Last year, Duke had a miserable March with a quick exit from the NCAA tournament.
For Apple devotees, the question is whether its stock will survive the September iPhone and $700 madness. Not everyone believes the hype.
- Skechers is winning the sneaker wars(01:05)
- Weight Watchers soars on Oprah investment(01:19)
- Is Starbucks unstoppable?(01:12)
- Goldman is more like a boring bank ... but don't expect toasters(02:16)
- Oil keeps plunging. Here's why.(01:25)
- Can it get any worse for Whole Foods?(01:23)
- The WWE body slams its skeptics(01:29)
- Gold is no longer glittering. Here's why(01:30)